Rising from the ocean like a rocky crown, the World Heritage Site of Seongsan Ilchulbong stands as a testament to the region's ancient volcanic activity. Formed nearly 5,000 years ago by an eruption, the formation, known as a "tuff cone," features sheer walls with a depressed center. Hike your way up to the top of the raised crater, which stands 180 m (591 ft) high and has a diameter of nearly 600 m (1,969 ft), and look out over the rugged interior. You'll also get to enjoy sweeping views of the surrounding ocean and coastline from the rim. Plan your Seongsan Ilchulbong visit and explore what else you can see and do in Seogwipo using our Seogwipo travel route planning app.
Create a full itinerary - for free!
Seongsan Ilchulbong reviews
Going before sunrise to catch the early morning light was one of the highlights of my trip. Lots of locals as well as tourists hike up the trail for the wonderful sight. There is a trail up and a...
Going before sunrise to catch the early morning light was one of the highlights of my trip. Lots of locals as well as tourists hike up the trail for the wonderful sight. There is a trail up and a... more »
The walk up to the summit took about 20 mins. No words to describe the beautiful view of the ocean from there. The winds were strong! Worth the climb
The walk up to the summit took about 20 mins. No words to describe the beautiful view of the ocean from there. The winds were strong! Worth the climb more »
* Note: if you're driving in Jeju, you should download the Naver maps that has english navigations guidance available; google maps does not provide navigation in Korea. If you require driving tips/guide in jeju, go to my profile and look for my review for lotte rent a car auto house. * Plenty of parking available here below the mountain. Do take note of certain closing timing to climb, if I remember correctly, summer I'd around 5ish 6pm?Unlike Hallasan, you're not allowed to bring/eat food along the way up. In general, this is a relatively short climb. Takes around 45mins to an hour for the general climber. The hike is mainly long series of stairs up the summit. It is not recommended to bring walking sticks and when I was there no one used them.
One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! Highly recommend! (On the first Monday of every month, the main trail is closed so you cannot climb to the top, but you can still have great views with the free trail.)
Plan your trip to Seogwipo
- Get a personalized tripA full day by day itinerary based on your preferences
- Customize itRefine your trip. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
- Book itChoose from the best hotels and activities. Up to 50% off
- Manage itEverything in one place. Everyone on the same page.
Popular things to do in Seogwipo
Hidden gems in Seogwipo
Nature in Seogwipo
Museums in Seogwipo
Kid-friendly things to do in Seogwipo
Nearby attractions in Seogwipo
Trips in Seongsan Ilchulbong by other users
44 days in China, South Korea & Japan BY A USER FROM UNITED ARAB EMIRATES Luanping County Beijing Seoul 16 days in South Korea BY A USER FROM TURKEY Seoul Chuncheon Sokcho 26 days in South Korea BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Jeju Busan Gyeongju 19 days in Sydney & South Korea BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA Sydney Seoul Busan 29 days in South Korea BY A USER FROM TURKEY Jeju Busan Gyeongju 11 days in South Korea BY A USER FROM THE NETHERLANDS Seoul Busan Jeju